Wednesday 9 March 2011

WHEEE!

I was a wee boy (on the right) and so was my brother Adam
When I was a wee boy I liked to slide on icy puddles. I knew the best places where water would sit in shallow depressions on the pavement, and on nippy mornings I'd groom the icy puddles, tamping down and smoothing a layer of frost with the soles of my shoes to improve the slidiness of the ice. I liked to learn different tricks, which were essentially stances in which I would slide. There was a head-on slide, a backwards slide, a side-on slide, and there was "the wee mannie" - a slide performed in a crouching position. When I did a slide I would say "wheee," which expressed the way I felt about it.

A Recreation of A Wee Mannie Slide


My obsession with skidding on ice progressed to the point where I snuck out the house with buckets of water one cold winter evening, and splashed these onto the pavement at the foot of the cul-de-sac we lived in, where a downhill footpath terminated in a small flight of 3 steps. This was a precursor to the self-absorption at the expense of personal and public safety that I would later indulge with skateboarding. The following morning I returned to skid along the ice and  leap over the steps at its termination. Wheee! I knew it was hazardous, but I took the risk in favour of that wheee. I'm glad no-one was hurt.



A Skuda Skateboard
I would soon buy a plastic skateboard from a primary school jumble sale. It had the word 'SKUDA' embossed in its top, and a sticker that said 'The Shaggy D.A.' on the bottom. This soon came to replace icy puddles as the source of the wheees. I learned to ride the skateboard down the short length of our driveway, and then I learned some tricks. I also learned to internalise the wheee.

4 comments:

  1. I hope you and Adam still have those rockin' jumpers!

    I had one of those skateboards too as a kid. It was blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yo ben!

    hope yer good. and dee too.

    stuart c.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was recently complaining to a friend that because of long-form tv dramas, films no longer allow for enough character development and immersion for me. This film, though, has restored my faith in the cinematic medium.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the video isn't working, you can look at the original blog posting here: http://benterminalmoraine.blogspot.com.au/2011/03/wheee.html

    It seems the video got messed up by transferring across to this new blog site.

    ReplyDelete